Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 04-02-2024: Filing, Possible Kidney Transplant, Spicy Chicken Cutlets

1. I completed a medium sized project I've been putting off for weeks. I got the pile of papers on my desk filed. It took a while!

2. Just as I finished and just as I was about to go hike the Wellness Trail, I got a call from a transplant center in Houston. The nurse, Patricia, told me I was second in line for an organ. She also told me the donor is DCD (Donation After Cardiac Death). As of Tuesday afternoon, the donor was near death, but had not yet met the formal brain death criteria. 

I should know more Wednesday afternoon -- has the donor been declared deceased? Did the other potential recipient accept the organ? Etc. 

Coincidentally, I am scheduled to be at Sacred Heart all day on April 3rd for routine testing and meetings with the transplant team. This appointment has been scheduled for several weeks. 

So, I'll go through the routine of blood work, x-rays, heart tests, etc in the morning and meet with transplant staff in the afternoon and the news about the organ will probably come while I'm at the Transplant Center at Sacred Heart. 

3. I had a lot on my mind this afternoon as I tore open the HelloFresh bag. Cooking was the perfect thing to do after my conversation with Patricia in Houston and I had fun making chicken cutlets coated with a blend of panko, butter, mozzarella cheese, and Frank's seasoning mix. I also made mashed potatoes with sour cream, butter, and scallion whites mixed in and roasted three chopped carrots. 

No comments: