Sunday, April 28, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 04-27-2024: Morning Errand Blitz, Swords and Highball Glasses at The Lounge, Enjoying Salad and Salmon and Teff

1. Once I worked puzzles and blogged this morning, I leapt into action and raced to Silver Valley Tire Center and had the Camry wheels retorqued. I sidled up to the next door vacuum cleaner and removed Dorito detritus from floor mat on the driver's side of the Camry. I blasted over to the liquor store and bought spirits for family dinner tomorrow and rounded out my morning errands with a family dinner shopping extravaganza at Yoke's.  What a morning! 

2. Ed swung by around 3:25 and we rocketed up to The Lounge and had a great time yakkin' with Cas and visiting a bit with Tom and Cindie Sawyer. Debbie arrived later and while she was talking to Julie and Diannah, I told Cas that, if it were possible, I'd like some cocktail swords for Sunday's family dinner. He gave me a bunch and THEN I mentioned that I'd sure like to serve Sunday night's highball in a glass similar to the tall narrow one I was, at that moment, drinking club soda out of. 

Bob disappeared.

He returned with a box of six such (I call them) highball glasses and now I'm set to serve drinks just the way I'd dreamed of when Debbie and I started imagining Sunday's dinner. 

3. Back home, Debbie and I dove into the bean salad (featuring white hominy!) she made today along with dining on a salmon burger patty and an unusual, but delicious second side: teff. Teff is a lovegrass native to the Horn of Africa, cultivated for its edible seeds. It's prepared much like any grain, brought to a boil and simmered in a covered pot. It's a solid source of calcium, zinc, and iron. It's gluten free. I like it a lot and, I admit, I ate a little too much of it tonight -- but that's what drinking a few 7 & 7s will lead me to do once I arrive home from The Lounge.   

I over-teffed. 

No comments: