Sunday, April 14, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 04-13-2024: Overcoming Fatigue, Challenging Day at The Masters, Superb Pasta Salad and BLT

1. I'm glad that I've remained calm, haven't gone on a roller coaster ride emotionally or paced the floor or felt the tightness of anxiety in my stomach as I've waited to find out if I would be going in for surgery when I've been contacted three different times in the last ten days with news that the first step toward possible kidney transplant was underway. 

It has, however, been fatiguing. 

Fortunately, I didn't have anything really going on today and I could rest, take naps, and do what I needed to restore my energy.

2. I enjoyed a few restful hours watching The Masters and marveled at how demanding Augusta National Gold Club was today. The course grew drier and faster as the day progressed -- at times I thought I was watching a U. S. Open -- and if today's action revealed anything, it showed those of us who love golf that these top players demonstrate their best talents when they have to recover from errant shots, settle themselves down after what they thought was a good shot goes awry, and do their best to put bad scores on specific holes behind them and focus on what lies ahead. 

I thought Scottie Scheffler steadied himself particularly well after he double bogeyed 10 and bogeyed 11 with an eagle on 13 and a birdie on 15 and a huge birdie on 18 after he stumbled and bogeyed 17.

I would have to say I'm somewhat of an empathetic viewer of golf. So, it pained me to see Bryson DeChambeau struggle mightily on several holes on the back nine, but he electrified the gallery and possibly lifted himself out of his own slough of despond when he holed out with a miraculous shot from 77 yards on the 18th hole. 

I laughed joyously when that shot dropped in the hole. 

3. Debbie fixed a superb pasta salad today and it was the perfect accompaniment to the BLT I fixed myself for dinner tonight. I hadn't had a BLT for a long, long time and, for me, today, the bread was the key. Earlier I had bought a loaf of White Bread Done Right, a product of Dave's Killer Bread. It was perfect, as was the pepper bacon, juicy tomato, crisp lettuce, and, my favorite condiment, a generous blob of French's yellow mustard. 

No comments: