Saturday, April 6, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 04-05-2024: Another Transplant Update, Preparing to Possibly Fast, Iowa Defeats UConn

1. A transplant coordinator called me at 10:30 this morning (Friday). He told me I was the backup candidate for a kidney transplant. It wasn't time for me to quit eating or drinking, but, he told me, "Proceed with your day." 

By bedtime, around 10:00, I hadn't received another call. 

Just before 5:00 a.m. (Saturday morning), however, another transplant coordinator texted me with instructions not to eat or drink after 6 a.m.

What's next? 

I await further instructions. 

2. With the possibility looming ahead of me that I might be instructed to fast, I ate much more than usual today, capped off by a delicious meal of assorted appetizers and an order of chicken fried rice that Debbie brought home from Wah Hing. 

I've been dedicated over the last few months to losing weight. I went off my regimen today, wanting to have eaten a good reserve of food in case a transplant coordinator instructed me to fast. 

3. I watched the UConn/Iowa women's NCAA basketball semi-final today. As the first quarter drew to an end, I thought UConn had squandered an opportunity to build a more sizable lead than they did. UConn defense rattled Iowa. UConn got a lot of stops and forced several turnovers, but they didn't translate those stops often enough into points. 

Yes, I agree, the illegal screen foul called against Aaliyah Edward's in the waning seconds of the game as UConn worked to set up a last shot for Page Buekers was very disappointing. But, I also agree with the UConn players and their coach, Geno Auriemma, that UConn lost to Iowa for reasons that go beyond that one call. They didn't cash in on their great defensive play early in the game. When Caitlin Clark missed a free throw a second or two after that call on the illegal screen, UConn failed to rebound her miss. 

Yes, if I were a UConn supporter, I'd be bitterly disappointed. 

But, I admit, as someone who has a little bit of money wagered on Iowa to win the whole tournament, it's fun that my wager is still alive going into Sunday's final, a final which promises to be a rugged challenge for the Iowa Hawkeyes against the undefeated South Carolina Gamecocks. 


 

No comments: