Friday, July 19, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 07-18-2024: My New PCG Inspires My Confidence, Debbie's Flight Is Grounded, Gibbs Is Flexible

1. Bright and early this morning, I jetted to the clinic uptown to meet and yak with Melissa Rix. She is the next in a fairly long line of medical pros who've been assigned to be my primary care providers at Heritage Health and have moved on to other positions.  I have no idea what Melissa Rix's plans are, but I'll be very happy if she stays put in Kellogg for a good while. She listened intently as I described my transplant experience, asked me learned questions, assured me that she would be eager to work in conjunction with the transplant team at Sacred Heart if anything comes up, and instilled confidence in me that if I need her assistance at any point, she'll be great to work with.

As of now, I'm not scheduled to see Melissa Rix again until my next annual Medicare wellness exam in January,

2. At some point between 4 and 5 this afternoon, Debbie piled her luggage in the trunk and I blasted her in the Camry to the Spokane Airport Ramada Inn. She was scheduled to fly out of Spokane at 5 a.m. on Friday and then hop on another jet and fly into Chicago's O'Hare. 

As I write this blog entry, it's early afternoon on Friday. 

Why have I been delayed in writing a blog post today? 

Well, as you might have heard, airports, hospitals, banks, and other institutions today were thrown into chaos by a global tech outage. 

Debbie's flight to Seattle was cancelled. 

According to CNN, 2,499 flights suffered the same fate today. 

Rather than stick around in Spokane and try to figure out a new itinerary, Debbie, at least for the time being, cancelled her whole trip. 

I blasted back to the Ramada Inn this morning (Friday) and picked her up around 9:30. Whatever Debbie does next as far as travel, she'll figure out here in Kellogg. 

3. Okay. 

Back to Thursday. 

A big question was on my mind, and Debbie's, as we bade one another farewell this evening.

Would Gibbs be willing to spend the night by himself in the living room while Copper and I were in the bedroom? Gibbs is accustomed to being with Debbie upstairs at night, but with her gone, would he accept a different arrangement?

He did! 

He quietly spent the night on his own in the living room and didn't make a peep. 

After got out of bed this morning, he broke his silence when he spotted Copper strolling on the other side of the barrier we put up and revved up his special "Oh My God! There's Copper!" bark.  

I told him to back off and he did.

He barked at Copper a couple more times. 

Each time he stopped barking as soon as I told him to.

I'm happy to say that I woke up Friday morning feeling completely confident that this arrangement, especially at night, was going to work and that Gibbs was going to do fine sleeping on his own in the living room. 

So, if Debbie decides to reschedule her trip and take off again, I think with our current set up, Copper and Gibbs can co-exist pretty well.

No comments: