Friday, July 26, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 07-25-2024: Breaking Through, I Dream of Playing Mike Ehrmantraut, A Tortellini Dinner

1.   A line from the movie The Earrings of Madame de . . .  has been ringing true for me over the last two months since Joe Cronin passed away and my mind has been occupied with thoughts, memories, gratitude, and love for his partner and my longtime friend, mentor, and inspiration, Sparky Roberts. Here's the line: "It's when we have the most to say that we can't speak." 

I've been unable to speak -- I should say write -- over these last two months, but today I finally broke through and began, via email, to express some of my thoughts, feelings, and memories to Sparky about Joe and about Joe and her. 

I'm sure now that I've broken through, more emails will be forthcoming. 

It's a grievous disappointment to me that because it's best for me not to be in situations with a lot of people that I won't be driving to Eugene and attending the celebration of Joe Cronin's life on Saturday at 11:00 at the Oregon Contemporary Theater. 

2. I have never watched full episodes of either Breaking Bad  or Better Call Saul, but clips from both shows pop up regularly on Reels on my Facebook account. Almost always, these clips feature Jonathan Banks playing the role of Mike Ehrmantraut. Every time I watch one of these clips I think the same thing: if I could be a real actor, I'd like to be Jonathan Banks and be able to bring to life a character like Mike Ehrmantraut -- he's a character that I, as a person, have next to nothing in common with, but I think it would be fun to occupy and bring to life this wholly other character. 

3. I've been cooking quick throw together whatever we have on hand dinners lately and tonight I took advantage of having five cheese tortellinis, a half a bag of raw shrimp, and cans of diced tomatoes on hand and combined them to make a dinner Debbie and I both enjoyed. 

No comments: