Saturday, July 20, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 07-19-2024: Bringing Debbie Home, The Positive Side of the Cancelation, Reading *Fire Season*

1. As I noted in this blog yesterday, Debbie called me around 7:15 this morning to tell me she was ready to be picked up at the Ramada Inn. One consequence of the world-wide tech outage was that her flight to Seattle was cancelled and she didn't feel up to trying to rearrange flights and so she canceled? delayed? her trip to Chicago and New York. 

I had a few things to tend to before heading to Spokane -- like get dressed, let Gibbs out for a while, feed Gibbs, put Copper in the Vizio room, and get myself protected from the sun. I filled the Camry tank with fuel on the way out of town, stopped at Silver Peak Espresso in Smelterville for a latte and a sugar cookie, and blasted over the pass and on to the airport complex to pick up Debbie. 

2. Yes, it was disappointing that Debbie's trip didn't happen. I looked at the positive side of it all, though. I had nothing going on this morning and it was no problem vaulting into the Camry and rocketing over to pick up Debbie. Our car is reliable. Its air conditioning works. I could listen to Peter Noone's Sirius/XM show, Something Good, via Bluetooth while I drove. Traffic on I-90 was moderate and sane all the way to the Ramada Inn. 

Most of all, if Debbie's trip had to be canceled, the timing was perfect. She never left Spokane and didn't get stranded, say, in Seattle and have to figure out what to do next while stuck in the SeaTac airport. 

Our drive back to Kellogg was also sane. 

Now Debbie could rest, recover, and take her time, maybe a few days, to figure out whether she'll try to make this trip again or just stay put. 

3. Back home, Debbie wanted to be left alone to rest, nap, gather herself. 

No problem. 

I retired to the bedroom and set Copper free from the Vizio room. He joined me. 

Last weekend at family dinner, all of our discussion about books along with Leah Sottile having published her favorite books of the early 21st century inspired me to get back to reading.

I finished Cougars on the Cliff and I decided to read my way through the books on Leah Sottile's list. 

I decided to secure books from her list two at a time and ordered Leyna Krow's Fire Season and Jess Walter's Ruby Ridge from Auntie's Bookstore in Spokane. 

I spent much of today with Fire Season, a historical novel set in Spokane during and following the horrendous fire of 1889. 

I'm realizing that I am attracted to books set in Spokane -- two pop immediately to mind: Tim Eagan's Breaking Blue and Jess Walter's The Cold Million.

And, now, I'm about halfway through Leyna Krow's Fire Season and it's a blast, very enjoyable, a story centered on three characters who scheme to profit from the fire. One's a banker, one's a con man, and one's a prostitute. It's an imaginative and insightful story. I'm enjoying its every page!  

No comments: