Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 09-02-2024: Don Knott Made a Dream Come True, I Got My Camera Out, Chicken Stir Fry

1. First of all, before I get rolling on today's blog post, Terry Turner, Carol Lee Jacobs, and Byrdman all reported about gifts Don had given them in the Facebook comments on my post about Don Knott giving gifts: Terry told about Class of '72 golf ball markers Don had made and gave to Terry and others; Byrdman posted a picture of an NAIA World Series (held in Lewiston) t-shirt Don gave him;  Carol Lee posted a picture of a divot repair tool Don gave Jake in memory of Kirk "Goose" Hoskins embossed with this: The Goose 1954-2019.

Don Knott did more for me than just give me gifts. 

He also made a dream come true that I never thought would happen. 

Back in 2022, the year of our 50th KHS class reunion, I discovered online that a craft brewery had taken over the former Heidelberg brewery in Tacoma and opened 7 Seas Brewing. At some point, the enterprising new owners unearthed the recipe for Heidelberg beer and decided to start brewing and canning it. Heidelberg hadn't been brewed for many years. 

You've got to understand. Heidelberg was a top selling beer in and around Kellogg. My dad was a prolific drinker of Heidelberg beer. So was Don's dad. In honor of them and because I knew many of my classmates would enjoy the tangy velvety taste and the sweet nostalgia of having Heidelberg beer at our reunion, I hoped I could find a way to bring some to our reunion weekend get togethers. 

One day Don texted or emailed me that he was going to drive to 7 Seas Brewing in Tacoma and fill up his car with Heidelberg beer. I ordered two cases, wanting to share as many cans as people wanted. 

In total, Don bought 14 cases, some for himself, the others filling orders. 

He stocked a cooler with Heidelberg tall boys for our class's Friday night party and once those who wanted them had popped open a can, we raised a toast to our fathers, Pert Woolum and Norm Knott, and to the glory of Heidelberg beer. 

It was a dream come true for me. So was spreading joy with the two cases I bought by sharing cans of beers with anyone who wanted them. (Don's generosity rubbed off on me!)

The cup of my heart will always be running over with gratitude for the effort Don made to make my Heidelberg dream come true. 

2. When I decided to post pictures of gifts Don Knott gave me, I wasn't happy with my cell phone pictures and I took out my Nikon 3100 for the first time in way too long. I began to get reacquainted with my camera, took the gift pictures, and then decided to try to photograph Copper. That's always a challenge, but I'm going to stick with it and see if I can have some success. 

As you can see from this one attempt I'm posting, I always have trouble snapping a picture at just the moment Copper happens to look up, happens to make eye contact with the camera. I didn't succeed here, but I hope, over time, to take some pictures that better show Copper's intriguing eyes.


 


3. Debbie and I have been doing a good job of eating the food we have on hand rather than adding more food to our fridge and pantry. I think we've reached a point, especially with produce, where we need to do some shopping. But, this evening, I thawed the last three pieces of chicken tenders that were in the freezer, chopped a half a white onion, sliced up a half of a yellow squash we had on hand, and fixed a pot of jasmine rice. I got out the wok, stir fried the chicken, onion, yellow squash, and a half a bag of frozen green beans, added in some rice, and made a sauce composed of Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, molasses, garlic chili paste, and some water. (I now kick myself that I forgot to add in some ginger.)

It worked!

No comments: