Thursday, September 12, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 09-11-2024: Feeling Better Than Ever, Great Afternoon in the Kitchen, The Bedroom is Not a Photo Studio!

1.  Ever since I woke up from transplant surgery on May 11th, I've thought, "Hmm. I'm feeling pretty good." And I was right. I haven't been in pain, my mental state has been positive, I've been able to get around almost from the beginning and take care of myself, cook, and do other light tasks around the house -- and with time, the tasks I've done have become heavier and heavier.

Over the last couple of days, however, I've felt even better. My already good mental state has improved, I've felt small surges of joy, and I've enjoyed the last few days more than any others over the last four months. 

2. I think my efforts today in the kitchen contributed mightily to my sense of uplift. After picking up groceries curbside at Walmart at 7 a.m. and then enjoying a latte from Silver Peak Espresso (always a boost!), I had the ingredients on hand to fulfill Debbie's request that I bake a batch of Morning Glory Muffins. I had a blast organizing the wet and dry ingredients, mixing them together, spooning out the batter into baking cups, and producing a couple dozen muffins. It's a great help to Debbie to have grab and go food to take to school in the morning. These muffins perfectly fit that need.

This morning I took a pack of boneless pork chops out of the freezer to thaw. Once thawed, I laid them out on a baking pan lined with aluminum foil. I made a mixture of panko and poultry seasoning of my own creation and roasted it in a pan on the stovetop. I put a layer of Dijon mustard on each pork chop and added some hot Chinese mustard to the Dijon, hoping to satisfy Debbie's and my enjoyment of a little heat in our food. I spread the panko mixture on top of the mustard mixture. While the chops baked, I made a pot of jasmine rice and a mixed vegetable stir fry. 

It was a simple dinner to prepare. It was very satisfying as well. 

Uplifting. 

 3.  As I continue the Copper Project, it hit me today that sometimes I expect myself to take studio quality pictures. Ha! My bedroom is hardly a studio. I don't have highly controlled sophisticated lighting in the bedroom and I'm often unsatisfied with what lies in the background of pictures I take of Copper. 

Often, I take pictures of Copper from near the foot of the bed and my heap of nighttime pillows at the head of the bed are part of the background. I don't always like this. So, today, I moved the two blue pillows from the head to the foot of the bed, thinking I'd take pictures of Copper without those pillows behind him. 

Well, of course, Copper immediately rested himself in front of the pillows in their new spot. 

So, I gave in and took a few pictures of Copper in front of the pillows. Here's my favorite: 






 

No comments: