Sunday, September 15, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 09-14-2024: Back to the Sadness of *Perma Red*, Copper is a Challenge to Photograph, Hot Shrimp and Fried Rice and Gyozas

1. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I took a day off from the Copper Project 2024 today. 

But, here's the deal.

On a day to day basis anymore, I tend to be a one trick pony. 

If I get absorbed in taking pictures, I don't get much reading done.

If I get absorbed in a book, I don't take many pictures and I definitely don't watch movies.

My days tend to be single focused. 

(But I always cook.)

Today, I got absorbed in Debra Magpie Earling's Perma Red  -- so I didn't do much else -- and will probably finish it on Sunday. 

The book focuses on the tumultuous life of Louise White Elk. Louise White Elk's story is one of social and material instability and deaths on the Flathead Reservation, the men who prey upon Louise, Louise's ongoing urge to escape (and her doing it), and the mercurial man she married, but rarely sees, Baptiste Yellow Knife. 

In addition to writing a series of heartbreaking, sometimes frightening stories in this novel, Debra Magpie Earling writes the prose of this novel in rich, often haunting, poetic language. It's physical prose. Sensory. It's of the world, of nature, and it's transporting. 

It's also grievous. 

2. Back to Copper for a minute or two. 

People I follow on Facebook and who post pictures elsewhere online often post photographs of their cats getting into or on top of their stuff. Some cats lie on computer keyboards. Others get on the kitchen counter while a human is cooking. Others jump on the human's lap or chest, making it a challenge for the human to read a book.  Etc. 

These are funny and entertaining pictures. 

Copper doesn't do any of that. 

I currently have my medical stuff -- pillbox, transplant binder, bottles of pills, water bottle, plastic bag of masks, blood pressure cuff, thermometer, box of Kleenex, rinse free cleansing foam, sun screen, urine sample jars, pill cutter, and maybe more -- set up on a card table next to the bed I sleep in. I also keep my cameras, writing implements, reading material, bills, checkbook,  and other miscellaneous items on this (crowded) table.  

I also have a desk chair sidled up to it. 

It would make for funny and entertaining pictures if Copper leapt up on this table and nosed around in all this stuff. I'd even settle for a picture of Copper claiming the desk chair as his own. But, alas, Copper is not what Rhonda K. calls, in a long standing series of cat photographs she's posted on Facebook, a Helper Who Hinders. 

He doesn't mix himself up in my stuff. 

Copper lies on the laundry bag in the closet. Copper finds different places to lie down on my bed. Copper wanders into the Vizio room from time to time to eat dry food, to use the litter box. Sometimes, he'll leap into an empty laundry basket or a cardboard box, but not as often as he used to. 

My challenge, then, in working on the Copper Project 2024, is to figure out various ways to take pictures of Copper resting. 

That's what I've done and it's what I'll do. 

It would be fun if Copper were more entertaining, but I think he's past the entertainment stage of his life. 

He goes much more for the regal, dignified, contented, relaxed look. 

3. I might be overstating it a bit to say that tonight I fixed fusion cuisine for dinner, but I sort of did. 

It was simple. 

First I fixed hot shrimp by cooking a bunch of shrimps in butter in the wok and then transferring them into a pot where I had heated up Frank's RedHot sauce with butter. 

With the wok empty, next I warmed up brown rice left over from last night, poured two beaten eggs in the rice, added chopped green onion, and cooked this mixture. 

At the same time, I put about ten gyozas in a basket and steamed them and served them with the Asian stir fry sauce I made last night. 

So, at least to my way of thinking, the hot shrimp was a kind of Louisiana cuisine. 

The fried rice with egg and green onion was kind of generically Asian. 

Debbie and I both put our Louisiana hot shrimp on top of the quasi-Asian rice: a fusion! 

And, on the side, we enjoyed our Japanese gyozas and topped them with the generic Asian stir fry sauce I'd made. 

Whether this was actually fusion cuisine, really, what difference does it make?

It all tasted great and was a lot of fun to dream up and put together! 

No comments: