Saturday, September 28, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 09-27-2024: Beach Bum Bakery's Sabbatical, Plot in *The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo*, Entering the Zone

1. The Beach Bum Bakery, a purveyor of superb organic baked goods, opened its tiny mobile shack on the south side of Furniture Exchange in Kellogg a couple of years ago. Later on, they moved the shack to Coeur d'Alene. They baked their goods in Silverton and parked their tiny shack in the Runge's parking lot and then at Lowe's. On Wednesdays, they were a vendor at the Coeur d'Alene Fifth Street Farmers Market.

Beach Bum Bakery's proprietors have decided to take a break, reassess how and where they do business, and hope to reopen in the spring. 

So, Thursday was my last chance to purchase an order of Beach Bum's peerless New York bagels.

Today, I picked up my order at Furniture Exchange. I added the dozen I bought today to the 6-8 bagels I already had on hand. 

They freeze beautifully. 

My challenge will be to dip into my supply infrequently enough that I can have bagels on hand up until Beach Bum Bakery reopens and bakes them again. 

Ha! My guess is that I'll consume my supply much sooner than later! 

2. I spent a lot of time today engrossed in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I agree with those who have told me they love Stieg Larsson's character development. I'd add to this that in great novels, character development is tied inseparably to plot. I am thoroughly enjoying how Stieg Larsson has plotted this story, how he introduces new characters with new plot and subplot lines and how he deepens our understanding of the characters we already know with these further movements in the novel's story line. 

Surprising, sometimes disturbing, things happen in this book, and I became more and more absorbed in the task one of the main characters, Mikael Blomkvist, has accepted to carry out: he is not only researching the history of the famous Swedish industrialist family, the Vangers, but he's also working to unravel the mysterious disappearance of a family member, Harriet. Harriet was a teenager when she disappeared. The novel takes place in the early 2000s and she disappeared about forty years earlier. 

And, now, I've reached the point in the book when Mikael Blomkvist hires the titular girl with the dragon tattoo, the enigmatic and brilliant Lisbeth Salander to help him with his efforts. 

I think things are about to REALLY get fascinating! 

3. When I retired for the night, I had printed out my contributions to Saturday's Celebration of Life in highly readable 20 point font, double spaced.  I formatted the text in ways that I hope will help me read it effectively. I punched holes in the margins of each page and loaded the pages in a binder. 

Now, on Saturday, I'll read over the text a few more times, get more and more familiar with it, and I'll relax. 

I'll relax. 

That's my zone. 

Nowadays, I think of it as my kidney transplant zone. 

It's the zone I entered into as I awaiting news when I received kidney offers. 

It's the zone I entered into during the nearly eight hours I awaited transplant surgery at Sacred Heart. 

It's the zone I want to be in as I officiate Saturday's Celebration of Life. 


No comments: