Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 09/21/15: Travel Plans Solidifying, Tuscan Chicken Stew, November Plans

1.  I am very grateful that Adrienne has room for me at her apartment in Nyack to sleep on the couch, allowing me, on my drive to the Troxstar's hometown, to break up the trip in about half and have more time to deal with the awful traffic conditions on the turnpikes that could result from the Pope coming to NYC and Philadelphia.

2.  We are having a cool spell here in Greenbelt and I seized the opportunity late this morning  to make Tuscan chicken stew.  The whole chicken simmered in the stock pot for an hour or so while I cut up celery, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and tomatoes. I wrestled the chicken out of the pot, set it aside to cool, strained the broth, and simmered the vegetables and a can of kidney beans for about 35 minutes, seasoning the broth with oregano, basil, thyme, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt, and pepper.  As the chicken chilled, I removed the meat from the many bones, added it to the vegetables and beans, stirred it all together, and let it stew for the rest of the afternoon into the early evening until the Deke and I were ready to eat.

3.  I got a call from Stu and when I answered, on my new smart phone, I thought I had hung up by accident and so a longish period of silence ensued, but Stu hung on, let me be a smart phone dummy, and we had a good talk about possibilities for getting our Kellogg friends together when I visit in November. I think we'll have a get together at the Pine Creek Tavern one day or evening -- YES!

No comments: