Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sibling Assignment #150: Morning Has Broken


To commemorate our 150th sibling assignment, IEG gave this assignment:  "Pick three favorite images you have posted, link them in some way, and write about them."

She posted images of gathering, of gathering around tables, here, and reflected upon the way her sibling assignment pieces correlated with the emphasis of her blog.

Well, I tried going back to sibling assignments and looking for images I had posted and I failed.

I still want to do this assignment, so


I got to thinking about the sibling assignments I've written and about my blog and about posting on Facebook and how they all kind of blend together in my mind.  Two images come to mind when I think about starting my blog and about writing sibling assignments.  The first image relates to the way I had been fighting some serious problems with mental illness, with depression when I started writing this blog and when I started writing sibling assignments.  My mind was not clear.  It was, well, like this:

And for a few years, starting in 2006, I often wrote about my struggles with depression.  In part, I think I was trying to help my sisters understand my experience, and, definitely, I was trying to come to a better understanding of its persistence and malignancy myself.

Not only that, but I was having some physical illness problems, too.  These problems interfered with my blog writing and interfered with my work on sibling assignments.  I've written quite a bit about these problems and tried to come to grips with how I was beginning to feel dilapidated.


The sibling assignments have been restorative.  In them, my sisters have asked me to think about ideas, remember events from our family's past, tell stories, take pictures and post them, write about music and movies, feel more deeply, learn more about my sisters, and tell them more about myself.  

I feel better in August 2011 than I did when we started out sibling assignments, and, better than when I started writing this blog. 

I don't know know why I feel better.  I like to believe, however, that it has a lot to do with sharing feelings, ideas, memories, pictures I've taken, and stories with my sisters.

I like to believe that this project has been a way that, for me, morning has broken:



No comments: