Sunday, August 7, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 08/07/2011: Sleeping Late, Sheer Silence, Salty Pepper Fish

1.  When was the last time I slept in until 10 a.m.?  I honestly don't have a clue.  But it seems the joyous work of being the Shakespeare Showcase narrator tuckered me out.  In fact, I took a nap in the late afternoon to add to the bounty of sleep I enjoyed last night.

2.  I might have slept all day, but, at 10 a.m., Jill called me.  She had an emergency and couldn't serve as the Lector for the 11 a.m. service and asked me to fill in.  I was happy to, even after I got out of bed, went to the Lectionary Page, and saw that the Old Testament reading for this morning had quite a few Hebrew names in it that were uncommon.  I figured out how I would say them, got to church on time, and read I Kings 19: 9-18, in which this beautiful passage appears: 
Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence.

3.  Before I went shopping at the grocery store, I slipped back to the Maple Garden for a plate of Salty Pepper Fish.  I'd never eaten it before and it was a great plate of food.  

No comments: