Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 08/01/2011: Working, Wine Search, Back Yard Dinner

1.  I'm back to carrying my Canon S95 with me as a pocket camera and I'm trying, really trying, to take pictures of people doing their jobs, people at work.  I tried to get some shots today in Hiron's Drug, Safeway, Albertson's, Bi-Mart, and Market of Choice, with not too much success, but I'm not discouraged.  It's a challenging way to take pictures and I'll just keep on keeping on.  For some in Eugene, the working life is not for an employer.  It's working to make it through the day, whether collecting bottles or panhandling or preying upon others.  I don't know what this man's story is, and I don't know what angle he's working. I snapped this picture of him pushing this baby stroller (I think) with a bicycle on top of it in front of Albertson's. 


2.  I have only once had a glass of two of Girardet's Baco Noir wine.  Once every three months, Girardet ships a box of three bottles of wine to the Deke and sometimes there's a Baco Noir in the box.  I like it a lot.  I thought a bottle would be fun to share with Herb when then Pendletons came over for dinner tonight.  But, Baco Noir is not readily available in stores and I struck out today in my search.  But, I had fun looking and, thanks to my sisters and their visit to L'Ecole N (degree) 41 Winery in Walla Walla last week, I picked up a bottle of  L'Ecole's Recess Red as well as a bottle of Old Vine Red Lot Number 55.  Both L'Ecole and Old Vine Red describe these wines I like as somewhere between serious and fun red wines.  I missed the serious part.  I just had fun drinking some of it.

3.  The Pendletons came over and I had a lot of fun setting up a spread of bread, cheeses, nuts, olives, spreads, dips, crackers and other tapa food.  I also cooked up a batch of Buffalo wings and the Pendletons brought watermelon and grapes and a chocolate cake.  I got to cook, shoot the breeze, talk with Herb about Harlem, give the Pendleton boys a hard time, and have a long talk with Miles about the current state of the National Basketball Association, which we both enjoy a lot.  Miles is new to the game and it was fun listening to him talk about basketball with so much excitement.  He enjoyed our talk so much, that when he's drafted into the NBA, he's going to give me a shout out on national television.  (Let's see.  Miles is going into the 7th grade.  It's 2011.  I'd say tune in to coverage of the 2018 or 2019 NBA draft and see if Miles keeps his word.)
 

No comments: