Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 08/20/2011: Stories, Mullan Friends, Mike's Thriving

1.  As we sat around having a few beers, played ladder ball, ate a great salmon and flank steak dinner, a bunch of us laughed and laughed and found out about things our friends had done when young that were astonishing.  I think all of us left this barbecue with a sense of gratitude that none of the guys who did these wild things were killed.  I left the barbecue realizing, again, how tame I was as a young guy, how crazy I never was and how I haven't changed much.  I've never been drawn to doing crazy stuff.

2.  It was great to see Kirk again.  It had been about four years. He and Jake are master storytellers.  I loved hearing the stories I'd never heard before and all the ones I've heard repeatedly over the years.  Kirk's wife, Janice, was also at the barbecue and I don't remember having met her before and we had a could talk about people from Mullan she graduated with in '72 and who were friends of mine either at NIC or from playing ball.  I enjoyed getting to know Janice.

3.  I hadn't seen Mike since Ed, Scott, Jim, and I visited him last September after his cancer surgery.  He's recovering beautifully.  He looks great.  He told us how he's taking great care of himself.  It makes me very happy to see him doing so well. 

No comments: