Saturday, August 6, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 08/05/2011: Showcase Rehearsal, Falling in Love with Shakespeare, Maple Garden Memories

1.  The dress rehearsal for the Shakespeare Showcase was splendid.  I enjoyed being back in the narrator's chair, the scenes look good (some look really good), and tech problems got worked out efficiently.  I look forward to tomorrow's performances.

2.  I hadn't seen my "Taming of the Shrew" friend, Julia, since the last Shakespeare Showcase.  Not only was it wonderful to see Julia again,  we had a really fun conversation about what makes viewing the Shakespeare Showcase so enjoyable and how much each of us enjoys seeing inexperienced actors, who aren't quite good enough to land a role in the performance of a play, perform in the Showcase:  they gain experience and, if really fortunate, have the heady experience of falling in love with Shakespeare.  Julia and I talked for a minute about falling in love with Shakespeare, but were cut short as a tech problem got solved and the performance of the show had to go on -- without us jabbering.

3.  Years ago, toward the start of the 21st century, I used to quite regularly have a plate of food at the Maple Garden, a Chinese restaurant near the University of Oregon.  After today's rehearsal, it crossed my mind that I hadn't eaten at the Maple Garden for years, so I went there today and enjoyed a combination plate of egg flower soup, pork fried rice, fried shrimp, mar far chicken, and chicken chow mein.  Eating there brought back a rush of memories of when the kids were younger, when the Deke sang in a choir that rehearsed weekly at the Univ. of Oregon, of riding LTD and often getting off at the University to go to the Maple Garden, and of seeing a dear friend's twin one evening.  I hadn't seen the friend for years.  For a moment I thought it was her, but when she looked right through me, I knew it was her twin.  Time and Chinese food played funny and enjoyable tricks on my mind this evening.

No comments: