Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 08/30/2011: Getting Caught Up, Discovering Vivienne Gucwa, Artifacts of 9/11

1.  Staying with Mom in Kellogg means very little internet access, so, whenever I go home, I get way behind in recording these Three Beautiful Things.  But, I keep mental notes.  My recall is good.  Today I got caught up on recording all the 3BTs that happened while in Kellogg, traveling back to Eugene, and the day after my arrival. 

2.  Through Tumblr, I discover more and more photography blogs and I'm especially drawn to those whose subject is the city of New York.  Today I discovered Vivienne Gucwa. She considers herself a "memory collector and an urban documentarian".  Before finding her blog, I had been thinking how I would like to document the realities of the Silver Valley in the 2010's -- on a regular basis, not just when I visit for a week or so.  If you'd like to see Gucwa's pictures, start here.  Her blog will then link you to a variety of other places to admire her work.  I've never been to NYC.  My experience with NYC has been through watching sports on television, photographs, movies, listening to others talk about NYC, and music.  Gucwa loves NYC.  It's thrilling to experience NYC through her love, to experience how love shapes her imagination and how she sees things.  (Note:  I really should comment on other photographers of NYC I admire in other posts.)

3.  Speaking of New York City, today, while listening to BBC World Service's program(me), "The Strand", I learned about a photography exhibition at the Imperial War Museum in London.  The photographer is Francesc Torres.  The exhibition's title is "Memory Remains".  He spent five weeks photographing Hangar 17 at JFK International Airport where debris and material cleared from the site of the September 11, 2001 destruction of the World Trade Center is stored.   You can see some of the images he captured here.

No comments: