Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 08/15/2011: Breakfast Nook, Trent Avenue, Legion of Mary and Martin Fierro


1.  I looked forward to driving today from Kellogg to Kettle Falls, in part, because it meant breakfast in Coeur d'Alene at the Breakfast Nook.  I enjoyed my generous plate of corned beef hash, fresh homemade hash browns, eggs, and coffee.  I also enjoyed trying to be covert in taking pictures of the employees at work and of customers at the counter and in other parts of the cafe.  Here are a few of my favorites: 








2.  I also enjoyed coming into Spokane on Trent Avenue off of Argonne Rd.  I popped into a post office right off of Trent and across the street from the Post Office was an aging building:




3.  In 1974, guitarist Jerry Garcia and keyboardist Merle Saunders formed the band, Legion of Mary featuring John Kahn on bass, Paul Humphrey (and later Ronnie Tutt) on drums, and, my favorite, Martin Fierro on saxaphone.  As I left Spokane, I decided to follow up on having listened to Zero (Fierro was in this band) by listening to my two cd set of Legion of Mary, live.  The thirteen minute version of Mystery Train put me on Cloud 9.  I'm glad I could drive while on Cloud 9

No comments: