Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 02/02/16: Beep Beep Beep, Gratitude, Cornbread Redux

1.  Yes, again.  The beep beep beep beep beep corgi torture sounds returned today. Maryland State Highway 201 is very near our apartment complex and over half a dozen tree branch trimmers and huge shredders congregated along the side of the road and their sawing and shredding included the dreaded beep beep beep beep beep. I had planned to go out and do some grocery shopping and other stuff, but I couldn't leave the dogs alone with that sound and so we retreated into the quiet room and waited things out -- and by afternoon, it was over and the corgis showed their appreciation by barking at me to feed them early today.

2. I appreciated the congratulations and good wishes sent to me after I announced that, with professional guidance,  I successfully withdrew from my psychiatric medicine for three months, starting in August, 2015, and then went off the medicine completely starting in November and am done checking in with the nurse practitioner I was working with.  As many of you know, when dealing with the challenges of anxiety and depression, the support and love of friends can be every bit as important, if not more important, than the pharmaceutical medicine. I'm most grateful.

3. After yesterday's slight failure in the world of cornbread baking, I decided to give cornbread baking another shot today. When I blended the ingredients, I added melted butter to the mix and I baked this pan of cornbread at 350 degrees instead of 400 degrees. I kept a more vigilant watch over its progress in the oven and I'm happy to report, this pan was a success.  I know I can still bake even better cornbread and I will -- but, today's effort, drawing upon the lessons I learned from Monday's mistakes, gave me a much needed shot of cornbread baking confidence.

No comments: