Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 05/01/18: Construction Continues, Go Go Dystopia, Good Cheer at Radio Brewing

1. Shawn and his employees, Craig and Ian, worked at solving some challenges positioning the shower floor pan in relation to the drain. They had to do some pipe sawing and they made some other noise, but much our day in the house was quiet as the three of them focused a lot of attention on work at Christy and Everett's once the electrician was finished over there.

2. All the way back in October, Cas passed on to me the unforgettably titled dystopian fantasy novel, Go Go Girls of the Apocalypse.  I read about two thirds of it today. It's quite a departure from reading Joseph Mitchell's profiles and stories. I can't say that anything in this story has been edifying, nor can I say that I find Vincent Gischler's dystopic vision very original, but it gave Cas and me some great material to base funny text message exchanges on today. I'm counting on the last third of the book to pile one outlandish plot detail after another upon all the other outlandish things that have happened so far.  I think it's kind of good for me to spend some time reading an outlandish book. So much of what I read, really, is so serious (well, except all the baseball history stuff on the World Wide Web).

3. Cas invited the Deke and me up to Radio Brewing for a few beers this afternoon and we had quite a time. Our conversation bounced around between the Deke's witty and hilarious efforts to compose jingles for the Inland Lounge, memories of television wrestling from our youth, the Captain Cy and Wallaby and Jack programs on television, and memories of things that took place in the Sunnyside neighborhood.  We talked about the difficulties we faced as our parents aged. After a while, Becky joined us. Julie Zook dropped by for a minute to say hello. Fitz and Deanne had been yakkin' at the bar and, as they left, they stopped at our table and we gabbed with them for a while. It was all good, looking at the golden past, talking about some of the pain of the past, and enjoying the good cheer of the present moment.

No comments: