Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 05/29/18: Closing Mom's Estate, Blood Draw, Tuesday at the O'Reilly Garage

1. As the executor/personal representative of Mom's estate and with the approval of Christy and Carol, I took steps today to close Mom's business. The key event occurred Saturday when Mom's modest Idaho state tax refund check arrived. I deposited it and closed Mom's estate account and transferred the remaining funds into another account. From it, I can pay the last attorney fee, when I find out what it is, and divide the remaining funds between my sisters and me.

I am very grateful that from the beginning, when Mom's poor health last summer meant signing power of attorney over to Christy, to when she passed away and I took on the executor responsibilities, that Christy, Carol, and I have not had one dispute, not even a single cross word, as we divided and dealt with Mom's belongings, decided that the Deke and I could buy her house, and divided the money Mom left behind.  We settled these matters peaceably and cooperatively and we maintained strong trust in one another. Actually, words like "grateful" and "appreciative" seem inadequate to express how very thankful I am for how Christy, Carol, and I worked things out.

2.  I went to Heritage Health uptown this afternoon for a blood draw in preparation for my appointment next Thursday with my nephrologist in CdA.  A blood draw is a relatively simple procedure as long as one's veins are in good shape -- and mine are --, but it's also a procedure where having trust in the phlebotomist matters. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you might remember that I began to look forward to my monthly blood draws in Greenbelt, always hoping that Angela would draw my blood because I liked her so much. Now I do my monthly blood draws at the Shoshone Medical Center, and, again, no matter who pokes me, they are attentive, careful, fun to talk with, and trustworthy. I was the same today at our local Lab Corp at Heritage Health. I left feeling happy that in the few minutes it took her to draw my blood, I felt well taken care of and I very much enjoyed our brief conversation about kidneys and transplants.

3.  Every Tuesday afternoon, Jim and Martha O'Reilly host a party in the large shed/garage where Jim restores cars.  When the Deke and I arrived around 4:30, at least thirty people must have been there. The refrigerator is stocked with a variety of beers -- Coors, Bud Lite, Olympia, Miller Lite, and others -- and on a table was an array of foods: spaghetti, pasta sauce, vegetables, garlic bread, cookies, cake, and other offerings.

I wish I could list all the people who were at the party today. I will say that I met Jerry Ford for the first time. Jim reminded me who Doug Mousseau is -- his name had escaped me over the years and we worked together at Stein's briefly. I talked with Eddie Joe, Tully Clements, Jim O'Reilly, Sherrie (Howe) Northrup, and many others.  When I was in high school, I never wanted a hot muscle car, but I was fascinated by the souped up cars other guys at KHS owned and for a while this afternoon I thoroughly enjoyed listening to stories about fast, sleek, muscular cars and the guys who drove them.

A highlight of the day was talking with John Sevy and confirming a memory I had of him. To make a long story short, back in my Whitworth days, either as a student or afterward, at one of the several hockey games I went to in Spokane, I had a memory of John Sevy holding a winning ticket to come out on the ice and take an uncontested shot at the goal for some kind of prize. For years, I've wondered if my memory was playing tricks on me or if this really happened. Today, I got confirmation. That was John Sevy on the ice at one of the intermissions.  John told me the whole story today and it was a great one -- and, he was stunned that I remembered him being on the ice all these forty or so years later. I don't know why it stuck in my head, but it did, and now I know it really happened.

No comments: