Saturday, May 26, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 05/25/18: Pancakes and Hash Browns, Overcoming Telephone Dread, Daft Badger Party

1. All week long, I look forward to breakfast at Sam's. First of all, it's fun listening to the other guys tell stories, talk about work, and discuss the stuff going on in their lives. For example, Buff recently returned from a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon and he heard the Eagles perform Thursday night and he was stoked about both experiences. Secondly, because the Deke and I have cut way back -- actually eliminated -- eating potatoes at home, all week long I look forward to the huge helping of Sam's fluffy hash browns every Friday morning and covering them with Tabasco sauce. About a month ago, when it came time to order what kind of toast I want, I started ordering a pancake. Now, all week long, I think about wanting Friday to come so I can have one of Sam's pancakes with my sausage, eggs, and hash browns. It's not a special pancake -- no blueberries or buckwheat or huckleberries or oatmeal -- although I'd enjoy any one of those -- it's a plain old good sized pancake and somehow every Friday it's just the perfect thing for me with a couple Darigold pats of butter and imitation maple syrup poured over it.

2. I dread being on the telephone. I far prefer writing or talking to people in person. I had some business to take care of this morning concerning money. The institution I needed to contact is far away and I can't make the transaction electronically. I had to call. Then, to my relief, the woman who answered and helped me get my task done was friendly, kind, and considerate. She made me wish that any time I call this place I could request her to help me out. I'd actually been spending the last week getting myself bucked up to make this call and then it was easy and pleasant. Likewise, when I called Kootenai Health to see about getting a nephrologist appointment changed, the woman who helped me was perfectly solicitous.  I was relieved and grateful.

3. Christy and Everett came over. Shawn's wife Teresa did, too. Christy brought over some chips and salsa she just made. The Deke broke out a great cheese we bought at Murray's at Fred Meyer on Thursday and some crackers and she sliced up some red and orange peppers and made a dip. Another week of working on the remodel had come to an end and we celebrated.

I was  especially happy that Shawn and Teresa both enjoyed the Daft Badger beer we introduced to them. Darrell sold us one of the beers as a favor.  We were very grateful that we could have the privilege of enjoying it around our table and we loved it. The Deke and I know Teresa and Shawn both enjoy blood orange IPA, so, on Thursday, the Deke and I bought a six pack of Daft Badger's Blood Orange IPA and they both enjoyed it. We had a lot of fun telling stories and talking about the projects at our two houses. I'll be happy when the projects are completed, but I'll miss these little Friday parties at the end of Shawn's work week.

No comments: