Monday, May 7, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 05/05/18: Mowing the Lawn, Anticipating the Silver Valley Farmers' Market, Family Dinner

1.  So, today, I got out the lawnmower and it took (I was counting) nearly fifty tugs on the cord before it started. The temperature was climbing, surpassing the 80 degree mark and I was uncomfortable in the sun. I took several breaks, drank about three cans of seltzer water to stay hydrated, persisted, forced myself to have a decent attitude, and I finished the job. 

I looked out over the freshly cut grass, and what did I see? Huge patches on each side of the yard and in the back of the yard, undeveloped, overrun with weeds, in need of cleaning up. I saw dead branches on the lilac bushes. I saw the rotting boards of one of Mom's old raised beds. I saw my future: pulling weeds, trimming, runs to the dump, and figuring out the least demanding things possible to do with these areas.

I began to think about how to incorporate work in the yard into my everyday routine. I've got to think about doing this work in small increments. Maybe as I get into it, I'll enjoy it more, but, I must admit, I sure enjoyed the three summers in Greenbelt, Maryland when we rented an apartment and didn't have to give a single thought to yardwork.

2. I had to take a nap after mowing the lawn -- mostly, I think, I had to recover from all those tugs on the starter cord. Once I was up and around again, the Deke and I decided to drink a beer at Radio Brewing. We didn't know that Radio and Wallace Brewing had collaborated on a beer. They dreamed up a light refreshing ale they call an IRS, an Idaho River Session. It's alcohol content is low. It's easy to drink with a satisfying light bitter bite at the end of each sip.

The very personable Mallory was working the taps and she's doing all she can to promote the opening of the Silver Valley Farmers' Market. She is in charge of the market. On Thursday, May 17th, Radio Brewing will host a fundraiser for the market, starting at 6 p.m. 

The Silver Valley Market opens Thursday, June 7th, at 5 p.m.  and will operate weekly on Thursdays into October. It will be located at 10 Station Avenue in Kellogg. For me, that means it's being held adjacent to the train depot; for others, it means down by the Chamber of Commerce building.

Want to keep up with the Silver Valley Farmers' Market? Their Facebook page has photos, information, invitations, and more. It's right here.

3. After a two week absence, Christy, Everett, Carol, Paul, the Deke, and I sat down at Carol's dining table for a Sunday family dinner. I was very happy that we resumed our Sunday family dinners tonight. Carol and Paul had hoped this evening's dinner would on their newly expanded backyard patio, but, alas, strong winds, thunder, lightning, and a driving rain swept into the Silver Valley and we ate indoors.

Paul fired up the outdoor grill, though, and after a crisp and fresh and very tasty Greek salad to start, we enjoyed grilled red peppers, onion, and mushrooms and grilled chunks of marinated sirloin steak for dinner, all in accordance with the Keto eating plan. Carol took a small break from Keto, however, once we finished dinner. She brought out a bottle of her homemade limoncello and some tiny glasses. It rounded out our dinner perfectly.


No comments: