Sunday, May 6, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 05/05/18: CdA Trip, Daft Badger Lunch, Dreamin' at the Inland Lounge

1. The Deke has enrolled in a knitting class at KnitKnit in CdA that met today and meets again next Saturday. She's learning how to knit in a style that has stumped her as she's tried to teach herself and the class was just what she needed. She left the session pleased with what she learned and what she started.

While the Deke was in class, I took care of some business. I went to Supercuts and, once again, Robin Pollard, a Silver Valley resident, cut my hair and we had a great talk about life in the Valley and how she started washing dishes at the Snake Pit when she was a young girl and continued working there through her teenage years.

I bought some summer short pants at Kohl's and then I spent an hour or so at a tiny used bookstore located in a small row of businesses at 2415 N. Government Way called Browsers Uncommon Books. The store is packed with books. The shelves are packed. Piles of books sit on the floor. Some books are in boxes or tubs. The store is a mess. I knew it would be a mess going in, reveled in it, and I took my time, scouted out certain sections, and spent quite a bit of time in the fiction section and purchased five books: The Things They Carried, Dubliners, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, East of Eden, and Death in Venice.  By buying five books, I got a 25% discount, so my purchase was just over fifteen bucks -- and the books are in pretty good shape. When I was done, the Deke was done and I picked her up downtown.

2. On the way to CdA, the Deke and I had decided we wanted to stop at Daft Badger and sample their new hazy IPA called Hazy Daze of Summer. We both liked it, but I wasn't in the mood for beer and so I ordered a white wine called CdA 6, a blend that was crisp and refreshing, perfect, in fact.  Our server, Kira, remember the Deke and me from some of our visits to Daft Badger last fall and we had a very happy reunion. She told us she'd missed us and was glad to see us back. As always, she provided us with stellar service and we hope we'll see her soon when we return before long.

By the way, I ordered the weekly special, an Israeli gyro made with smoked top round beef and it was astonishingly tasty: spicy, soft, smokey, filling, overflowing, perfectly messy, and complex. I loved it.

3. Back home in Kellogg, the Deke and I decided to pay Cas a visit up at the Inland Lounge. Upon arrival, we talked a little bit with Deanne and Mike before they took off and then we sat at the bar, asked Cas for a sheet of yellow legal pad paper, and we started to chart out some possible plans for trips this summer and possibly into the fall.  We had a lot of fun imagining who we might see and what we might do.

No comments: