Thursday, May 10, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 05/09/18: TIMBER!, Hacking and Yanking Weeds, Stewed Rhubarb

1. Inspired by the cool weather, but also driven indoors by the intermittent rain, I headed to the back of our yard, used a couple of different band saws I borrowed from Christy and Everett, and sawed some dead or dying limbs off of our abundant and towering lilac bushes. I thought often about how grateful friends of mine who trim trees and who log must be for the invention of the chainsaw, but I didn't have one handy and don't trust myself to run one safely anyway.

2. This area in the back of the yard is abundant with weeds, too. I got out the garden kneeling pad, a shovel, a bow rake, and a digging fork and went after a patch of gnarly, stubborn grasses and other weeds. On Thursday, I'll add Christy and Everett's Pulaski to my arsenal of tools and continue to hack away.

3. While I sawed and chopped away in the back yard, the Deke harvested rhubarb from our yard and canned some stewed rhubarb.  After she transferred the cooked sauce into jars, a thin layer of the stewed rhubarb liquid remained in the bottom of the Dutch oven and I spooned out what I could to taste it. It's delicious, tart with a light sweetness. I love rhubarb. I am eager to put this stew over a bowl of hot cereal or on some ice cream, maybe, and invent other ways to enjoy it.

No comments: