Thursday, May 17, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 05/16/18: Gathering Information, Back to the Lilac Jungle, At Long Last: Clams

1. I brought some low level procrastination to an end this morning and wrote a couple of emails, one to HR at LCC regarding the future of my medical insurance and one to the transplant center in Baltimore. Both parties quickly responded and I learned just what I needed to know.

2. It was cool outside today, perfect weather for returning to the lilac jungle and resuming my work to remove dead branches. I clipped, pruned, sawed, dragged, and piled and made some pretty good progress.  The old days of me being able to engage in frenzied yard work are in my rearview mirror. It's fun to look back at my 1995 self, younger, more fit, more energy. But, now, I am the yard work tortoise: slow and steady wins the race.

3. When I left to shop for groceries, I asked the Deke what she might like for dinner. "Fish or chicken," she replied. I purchased a filet of salmon and, having never prepared clams to eat, and having been hungry for clams ever since reading Joseph Mitchell's many descriptions of food at the Fulton Fish Market and at Sloppy Louie's, I bought about a pound of clams. To prepare the clams, I melted butter in a skillet and added crushed garlic. As soon as I could smell the garlic's fragrance, I added white wine and lemon juice. Quickly, the liquid boiled and I poured the clams into the pan and covered it. Within minutes, the clams popped open. I moved the skillet off the heat, and finished cooking the salmon. The Deke made a spinach salad with avocado, dressed with a superb balsamic dressing she made today. The two of us were staggered by how much we loved this dinner. We felt giddy that we have now added steamed clams to our possibilities for what to enjoy for dinner. 

No comments: