Thursday, May 3, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 05/02/18: Remodel Continues, Reading at the Bean, Tofu Stroganoff

1.  All the banging and drilling and other noises that sounded like my worst childhood memories at the dentist moved to the bedroom today as work on our reconstructed closet continued, and, later in the day, the electrician arrived and got to work on his tasks.  It's loud, but I welcome the noise as I anticipate the results.

2. I needed to go to Yoke's and replenish the icebox and the pantry. Before going to the store, I stopped in at the Bean where Gentry fixed me a pint cup of half Americano and half steamed milk. I continued to glide through the dystopic wreckage of Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse. As I moved more deeply into the story, it came to me that the writer's push was to escalate the absurdity of the story, almost as if he were playing a game of "Can You Top This?" with himself, and the book became more and more parodic or satirical -- cartoonish satire. At one point, because a table of people were distracting me with loud talk about their opposition to change in Wallace, I took my drink and book outside where it was a chilly, but in a good way, and much more quiet, allowing me to absorb myself in an apocalyptic gun fight featuring one side with go-go girls shooting guns out of agile, gasoline conserving Mini Coopers and Priuses while the other side's warriors shot their armaments from ponderous and gas guzzling Mustangs and other muscle cars.

I finished the book this afternoon and am ready to leave the scarred landscape and smoldering ruins of the apocalypse behind and turn my attention to a baseball novel, The Art of Fielding.

3.  Instead of sherry I used Worcestershire sauce and instead of cayenne pepper I used red pepper flakes and these modifications seemed to make all the difference in the world. Maybe combining Nancy's Greek yogurt with the sour cream made a big difference, too. The Deke and I agreed that tonight I made the best tofu stroganoff I've ever made and we both loved eating it poured over roasted cauliflower.

No comments: