Friday, May 25, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 05/24/18: Learning to Cook at Fred Meyer, Daft Badger Bliss, Superb Yard Care

1.  The Deke and I took a day off from supervising (ha!) the remodeling project that continues in our house and took a drive to CdA. First stop was Great Floors where we bought the floor for our bathroom. We knew exactly what we wanted, so it only took a few minutes to tell Dennis, have him put in a work order to the adjoining warehouse, and have the two boxes loaded into the Sube.

Next stop was Fred Meyer where we picked up a few things. I was especially happy to stumble upon a magazine called Cook's Illustrated All-Time Best Seafood Recipes.  While the Deke was finishing up a little shopping, I sat at Starbucks, finished my grande misto, and in about ten minutes significantly increased my knowledge of cooking fish. I am eager and ready to expand my cooking experience even more.

2. At Daft Badger, co-owner Darrell Dlouhy works the floor on weekdays during the day. Until today, this fact hadn't ever quite sunk in to the Deke and me, but now we know. Because it hadn't sunk in, when we took a seat at the Daft Badger early this afternoon, we didn't expect to get to see Darrell, but PRESTO! he suddenly appeared at our table and was the model of attentiveness, accomodation, in short, of premium service. Daft Badger recently collaborated with Bombastic Brewing to brew a small batch of an Imperial Stout (as yet unnamed) and it weighs in at about 10.5 ABV, so we asked to merely sample it and its velvety chocolate, dark fruit fullness embodied everything I love in an Imperial Stout. I can hardly wait until this same beer is released later in the year, in bottles, after aging in bourbon barrels.

No one in Shoshone County, just yet, brews a double IPA and I had a hankering for one, so I ordered a 12 oz. glass of Hop Face Double IPA. As I drank this adroitly balanced beer, I almost accused it of not playing fair! It's so smooth and easy and tasty that it's easy to forget that at 8.5 ABV, it packs a wallop and the wallop snuck up on me and I loved the mild euphoria that built within me as I sipped my way to the bottom of this glass. I didn't want food to interfere with my enjoyment of this beer, so waited until I'd finished my Hop Face to order the Deke and me a Daft Platter, a generous plate of cheeses (Greek, jalepeno cheddar, and more), cured meats, fresh apple, pickled asparagus, pickled beets, dried apricot, and smoked almonds accompanied by slices of baguette. I was blown away by this cornucopia of different flavors, textures, and food items -- it's the best meat and cheese and fruit and vegetable platter I've ever eaten.

We got some beer to go so we can introduce Shawn to some Daft Badger beer at the end of Friday's work day. We were so happy with our Daft Badger party that we drove straight home, not wanting to do anything else that would distract from the satisfaction we'd just experienced.  Later in the evening, we got our carry out box of leftover Daft Platter items and plunged right back into the pleasure we'd relished earlier in the day.

3.  Back home, the Deke heard lawn mowers in operation next door at Jane's. Jane had told us that the crew who cares for her yard do superb work quickly at a very reasonable price. The Deke went over, talked to the guy running the show, and, before I knew it, five people running three lawn mowers, two weed whackers, and two blowers  descended upon our yard and almost instantly had our yard looking the best it's looked for a long time.

We paid up, put in a request for a fertilizing job, and wandered over to Christy and Everett's and relaxed in their back yard in the refreshing coolness of the Kellogg evening and gabbed away. It was a perfect way to bring a very relaxing day to a close.

No comments: