Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 11-06-2023: Preparing the House, Cooking for Family Dinner, Lots to Discuss

 1. After picking up a few things at Yoke's, I spent much of the day preparing our house for family dinner: clearing the dining table, running the dishwasher a couple of times, vacuuming, sweeping, and clearing off surfaces in the living room.

2. I also cooked dinner and mixed tonight's cocktail. I made goulash and, for the first time, I used equal parts of Italian sausage and ground beef for the meat and added fennel seeds to the sausage. I made way too much! Oh well. It'll freeze. It turned out to be delicious as was the Costco baguette I thawed.

For our cocktail, I mixed each of us a Vieux Carré. It's a classic New Orleans cocktail featuring equal parts of rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, and cognac, and a splash of Benedictine liqueur -- I subbed Cointreau for the Benedictine -- with a dash or two of bitters and a Maraschino cherry. 

It worked, too! 

3. Carol brought bread pieces and a spinach artichoke dip for an appetizer and Christy brought eight small pies from Birdie's pie shop -- two each of pecan, key lime, apple, and berry. It was fun sampling the different types of pie and we all agreed that Birdie's bakes tasty pies.

Molly wasn't feeling well tonight and stayed home. Debbie, Christy, Paul, Carol, and I sat around the kitchen table and talked about a lot of things before, during, and after dinner: medical stuff, our local elections, dealing with life when it all seems to either go in totally unforeseen directions or, maybe even worse, fall apart, and other things. 


No comments: