Saturday, November 11, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 11-10-2023: I Get Going with Rehab, A Little Shopping and Sandwiches, Two Perfect Movies

1. I rocketed over to the Kootenai Health campus today, strolled into the small gym at the Heart Center, and began my pulmonary/cardio rehab program. It was just what I wanted! For starters, only about five of us old coots were in the gym and two staff members were on hand to instruct and guide us -- a superb ratio between therapist and client. I worked out, mildly, on a couple of machines and did some stretching and light weight lifting with hand weights. I wanted direction, support, and education and that's just what the therapists provided today and I REALLY liked being in a gym exercising with other people around my age or older. 

As a bonus, Classic Rock played quietly in the room while we worked out, uplifting me, making time go a bit more quickly while doing tedious exercises on the machines. 

2.  I felt good after my session and blasted straight to Costco to pick up a few items and then I wandered around Pilgrim's for a while and bought some fresh produce and a few other things. 

My plan was to use the produce to make a Thai curry for Debbie and me, but when she arrived home, we decide to have roasted vegetable sandwiches instead. I roasted eggplant, red pepper, and onion, piled it between slices of Great Harvest's Dakota bread and Debbie made herself a wrap. 

Yes, curry would have been awesome, but this simpler dinner worked great, especially because after all those years of cooking eggplant nearly every week in Greenbelt, MD, I have rarely prepared it here in Kellogg and I loved having eggplant as part of tonight's meal.

3. So, Debbie and I were enjoying our cocktails after dinner and were enjoying some low key yakkin' when Debbie suddenly wanted to return to All the President's Men. A while back we watched the movie for the 450,000th time and got as far as Woodward and Bernstein starting to knock on doors, wanting to ask members of CREEP questions about the committee, money, and other details. 

Every time I watch this movie, I marvel at the obscure character actors' exquisite work -- along with the well-known character actors like Jane Alexander, Hal Holbrook, Jack Warden, and the rest. I also marvel at the movie's exquisite plotting, the ingenious way the makers of this movie tell its story.

When it ended, I was in the mood to watch another movie that epitomizes strong character acting, along with superb leads, another movie that is as exquisitely plotted as any movie I've ever seen.

I turned on The Sting.

One of the great pleasures of watching The Sting is that I always forget the countless cons going on in this story and when another one plays out, I always experience the pleasure of getting tricked again and enjoy laughing at how the movie got me again. 

The Sting got me. It entertained me. It delighted me. 

Man, that was fun! 

No comments: