Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 11-13-2023: Back to the Gym, Bread and Salad, Pot Roast Family Dinner

1. As long as the roads aren't snowy or icy, this routine of blasting over to CdA for pulmonary rehab is working for me. I like having a workout schedule planned for me. I appreciate learning more about breathing techniques and other respiratory tips. I also enjoy the small gym with only a few other people and that I can focus on my exercise, stretching, and light work with weights and the only conversation I have is with the staff, only occasionally. 

2. Christy was this evening's family dinner host and assigned Debbie and me to bring salad and bread. I remembered thinking some of those salads in a bag from Costco were pretty good so I picked up a Mediterranean chopped salad today. While roaming around Costco, I suddenly remembered that I'd given some thought to bringing croissants to family dinner. Even though I had stopped at the Beach Bum Bakery shack in the Runge's parking lot and purchased a baguette, I still bought a container of croissants and figured Debbie and I would enjoy the baguette. 

Sidenote: When we lived in Virginia and Maryland, we spent quite a bit of time with Molly, Hiram, and their family. Molly frequently purchased Costco croissants and every time I purchase a pack and when I eat one, sweet memories return of when we lived with the Diazes and then, once we found our own apartment, visited them often. 

Such warm memories returned today. 

3.  For dinner tonight, we started with one of Christy's favorite cocktails. I don't have the details memorized, but it was a mixture of pear nectar and vodka and, I think, the flavor of vanilla. Carol prepared a pickle and olive tray for an appetizer. Christy slow cooked a Mississippi pot roast and served it with mashed potatoes and roast's gravy. I brought the salad and croissants I mentioned earlier. Christy baked a pear crisp for dessert. 

It was fun yakkin' during and after dinner about the production of Arsenic and Old Lace that Paul is directing and that Carol and Paul appear in as characters. Carol and Paul went to CdA over the weekend and saw a production of A Christmas Story: A Musical and Carol had some strong opinions about A Christmas Story, the movie, and it was fun seeing her get a little worked up and poking some fun at her. 

It was fun, beyond A Christmas Story, talking about other movies, podcasts, and tv shows. 

Between all of us, we watch and listen to a great variety of stuff -- it's interesting the different directions we go. 

No comments: