Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 10-31-2023: Happy Halloween, Post-Transplant Meds, Perfect Halloween Dinner

1. Gibbs frantic scream barked every time a trick or treater came to our door. Debbie leashed him so he didn't panic run to the door and hop on his pogo stick as I greeted our trick or treaters. Not many trick or treaters came to our house, but it was fun handing out candy to the ones who came. 

One welcome change: in Eugene, people put off fireworks on Halloween. I never really knew if they set them off in their yards or in Monroe Park, a block away. 

I didn't hear any fireworks tonight -- a huge relief.

2. Earlier in the day, I went to Yoke's for a flu shot and I handed Karli, the pharmacist,  the list of medicines I'll take post-transplant, if I get transplanted. The list had cost estimates from Sacred Heart's pharmacy and I want to know what my costs will be at Yoke's. I also wanted to be sure all of these medications will be available at our Yoke's pharmacy. 

Ever since Mom was able to do less and less and Yoke's filled her prescription box and delivered it, I've wanted to keep my pharmacy business at Yoke's. Since moving to Kellogg, both Debbie and I have had the need for a favor. For example, once I mistakenly bought a more expensive medicine when a less expensive one was available and every single time we've need help or a favor, Yoke's pharmacy has helped us out, given us superb service. 

So, my medicine situation will be a bit complicated if I have a kidney transplant. I understand (that is, I'm pretty sure) that the first thirty days of pills will come from Sacred Heart, but, after that, I'm hoping I can secure my pills from Yoke's pharmacy. I want to keep my business with this pharmacy here in Kellogg. 

3. Since I took on handing out candy and Debbie took on the task of trying to keep Gibbs from being a total maniac, Debbie also got Gibbs out of the living room by cooking us a delicious dinner of roasted sweet potatoes, yellow pepper, and onion over rice. It was simple, very tasty, and a perfect way to prepare food in the midst of the occasional pandemonium Gibbs engendered in his faithful commitment to keep us safe from anyone who might walk in front of our house or, OMG!, come up on the front porch. 

No comments: