Thursday, November 23, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 11-22-2023: Bagel Run, Remembering No Crime Day While Exercising, Podcast Episodes at Home

 1. I decided to add to our Beach Bum Bakery bagel stash and on Tuesday I ordered a half dozen sesame bagels. Beach Bum Bakery no longer sells wares out of its shack behind the Furniture Exchange -- and wares are no longer baked out of the owners' home kitchen. The bakery now operates out of the Silverton Mountain Manor, so I buzzed up to Silverton today and picked up the bagels I ordered. Back home, I toasted a sesame bagel and topped it with almond butter and honey. 

It worked. 

2. Am I ever happy I purchased wireless earbuds some time back. It means that when I go to the fitness center in Smelterville, I can give myself both a physical and a mental workout. Today, I turned to Slate's season of podcasts focused on the year 1986. During that year, Detroit Piston's point guard Isiah Thomas organized, with the help of Mayor Coleman Young, a No Crime Day in Detroit. Detroit, like many cities at that time, was experiencing a high volume of crime, much of it associated with crack cocaine. This episode told the story of the crack cocaine epidemic, examined Isiah Thomas' idea of declaring Sept. 27, 1986 No Crime Day, and reviewed what happened on that day. The podcast also presented people in the present day who reflected back on No Crime Day, a day of enthusiasm and grief in Detroit. 

3. Today, the podcast, Who Killed JFK, released its third episode. We listened to it after I'd worked out, enjoyed a pint of Hammerhead Ale, and eaten a bowl of leftover corn chowder. I fell asleep, so when I go back to the gym on Friday, I already know that I'll listen to this episode again while I exercise.

We also listened to the first episode of a podcast entitled, American Terror. Today's episode unfolded the thinking and plans for destruction of a Neo-Nazi organization called The Base. The Base was infiltrated and the infiltrator turned over recordings he made of phone and face to face conversations he'd had with leadership of The Base and this first episode was built around what the infiltrator recorded and learned. 

It's chilling. 

No comments: