Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 11-14-2023: Yakkin' at Corby's, Resurrecting Mose Allison, Superb Headlights

1. Terry Bushnell, from time to time, organizes get togethers at Corby's Bar in Post Falls. We had one today with a great group of guys: Jim Morgan, Dave Macri, Lloyd Bennett, Rob Rossi,  Ray Doty, Byrdman, Chester Larson, Terry Bushnell, and I. I picked up Byrdman, drove to Corby's, and great conversation circulated around the table. I especially enjoyed Ray and Terry's stories about their fathers and the work Terry and Ray did for the Bunker Hill Company in their younger days. 

2. I came across a post from a jazz radio station that exalted the career of jazz pianist and songwriter, Mose Allison. I was suddenly transported back to Eugene in the early 1980s when KLCC's morning music show was called "The Wireless". I don't remember who hosted it, but that person regularly played Mose Allison, introducing me to his music. Back in my early days of graduate school in Eugene, I think I only went to the WOW Hall once -- but that one time was a blast. I heard Mose Allison perform and I loved it. 

3. The Sube is not a terrific vehicle after dark, but the Camry is awesome. I experienced a very positive change in attitude about future after dark trips on I-90 today after driving from Post Falls to Kellogg, in the dark, with great illumination from the Camry's headlights. 

No comments: