Friday, November 10, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 11-09-2023: Monthly Blood Draw, The Podcast *Who Killed JFK?*, Dinner and Evening Conversation

1. I'm established at the Shoshone Medical Center. When I walk there, carrying my kit, and check in to have my monthly kidney transplant blood draw performed, the standing order is in place, the phlebotomist recognizes me and knows what to do as far as drawing my blood, filling out the label on the vial, and mailing the sample to Spokane. It all went smoothly today. That is a relief.

2. Back home, I tuned into a podcast I'd read about online called Who Killed JFK? So far, only the first episode in available and I wanted to listen to it and see if I thought Debbie and I would both want to follow this podcast. Even more than the subject matter, this podcast caught my eye because it's hosted by journalist Soledad O'Brien and Rob Reiner, the movie director and sometimes actor. 

Listening to the first episode, I was impressed with the experts they interviewed, the research informing  their script, and the connections they were making. The premise of their podcast is straight forward: The U.S. government's account of the assassination, documented in The Warren Report, missed the mark.

This podcast works to hit the mark in determining who killed John F. Kennedy.

3. For the first time since we started our subscription to HelloFresh, the company sent us the wrong directions for one of our meals. Luckily, the directions for their meals are posted online, so I found out how to prepare the sweet chili and lime glazed pork chops for tonight's dinner. 

All I had to do was chop up sweet potatoes, carrots, and an onion, drizzle them with oil, season them with salt and pepper, and roast them for close to twenty minutes.

Then I salted and peppered the two boneless pork chops and cooked them, removed them from the pan, and put them in foil to keep them warm.

I then cooked the whites of green onions in the pork chop pan and soon added sweet chili paste, hoisin sauce, fresh squeezed lime juice, and water to the pan and made the glaze.

Once the vegetables were roasted, I divided them between our bowls, topped them with sesame seeds and then I cut the pork chops into bite size pieces, put them in our bowls, and topped them with the glaze. 

The dinner was simple to prepare and very delicious. 

Before long, Debbie and I were discussing the podcast, commenting on our experiences the day JFK was assassinated, talking about seeing Jack Ruby kill Lee Harvey Oswald on live television, and sorting out what we learned from the podcast about JFK's tensions with the CIA and his military advisors along with his complicated relationship with Nikita Khrushchev.  

We had another evening of good food and fascinating conversation and story telling.


No comments: