Friday, February 2, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 02-01-2024: No Luck at Fred Meyer (No Problem), Copper Grows More Assertive, Zucchini Paninis

1. After a successful 45-50 minutes of working out at the rehab gym, I scooted up to Fred Meyer, hoping to find a white dress shirt and possibly a new pair of shoes for Taylor and Cosette's wedding. 

No luck.

I did find socks I liked and some groceries, but if the CdA Fred Meyer ever did sell white dress shirts or the kind of shoes I was looking for, those days are gone.

No problem.

I could have hustled up to Macy's or Kohls, but I decided not to. 

Instead, I went across the street and drove the Sube through the Hippo car wash and returned to Kellogg where I ordered a shirt and a pair of shoes online.

2. In answer to the question, "How is Copper doing since Luna died?", for a while it seemed he was doing fine. For a while, he seemed unaffected. In the last few weeks, though, I've concluded that Copper misses having Luna in the same room with him. Luna and Copper were never affectionate with each other. Copper always kept his distance and Luna could be briefly nasty with him, resulting in short spats that Copper walked away from. 

As our household's only cat now, Copper has become more vocal, maybe even more demanding. Luna was the alpha cat when she was alive and I think now Copper is asserting himself more in a couple of ways. He's much more vocal about wanting company, of not wanting to spend so much time alone. 

He's also more vocal about eating. 

Luna was on a kidney care diet and I don't think either she or Copper were crazy about the kidney diet food, but they did eat it -- no boycotts!

Now I feed Copper a variety of wet foods -- pates, pieces, bits, foods with "gravy", and he's loving it.

And, he's getting more assertive about telling me he wants more -- even at 4:00 a.m.! 

It's kind of a bother to have Copper wake me up that early demanding food, but, at the same time, I'm happy for him that he is becoming more assertive and maybe even flexing his muscles a bit now that he no longer lives in Luna's shadow.

3. Back when we lived in Maryland, I frequently fixed Debbie and me grilled eggplant sandwiches on ciabatta rolls.

We returned to that ballpark tonight because our HelloFresh meal was a zucchini, sun-dried tomato, and mozzarella cheese panini with a sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, and parsley sauce on a ciabatta roll with a side of roasted potato spears. 

The melted cheese, sautéed zucchini, tomatoes, and sauce worked harmoniously to make this a terrific sandwich and the potato spears seasoned with Italian seasoning paired beautifully with it. 

It all worked! 

No comments: