Friday, February 16, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 02-15-2024: Ron White Appearing at Whitworth, Will I Have a Whiskey-Marlboro Voice?, Plain Old Party Wings

1. When I was a Chaplain's Assistant (1976-77) at Whitworth College, the chaplain's name was Ron White. Ron White has recently published a biography of a Civil War general, abolitionist,  and former governor of Maine, a person I'd never heard of, named Joshua Chamberlain. Ron White has previously published books about both Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses Grant. 

Ron White will appear at Whitworth University on Feb 21st and Debbie and I talked at some length this evening about attending. I tried to explain the many very positive influences Ron White had on me, both as a student at Whitworth and as a member of his chaplain's staff.

To put it briefly, I enrolled at Whitworth hungry for a deeper intellectual experience with the Christian faith. Until I studied at Whitworth, I didn't know anything about, say, 20th century theology or about the central conflicts between theologians and denominations in the United States. I hadn't experienced the Bible as a source of academic study. Being a student at Whitworth dizzied me with excitement and one of the most stimulating influences on my intellectual and spiritual growth at that time, starting in 1974, was Ron White, not only because of his preaching at campus worship and his teaching in a couple of study groups I joined that he led, but also because of the many stimulating speakers he invited to campus to speak at the college's twice weekly Forum program.

Later, and it was not his intention, Ron White was instrumental in helping me become engrossed in liturgical worship -- he put me in charge of Compline, a new worship service at Whitworth -- and my weekly leading of the Compline service led me, eventually, to become confirmed in the Episcopal Church. 

So, I'd like to hear Ron White speak again. 

I last saw him about forty years ago. He led the service of ordination at the Whitworth Chapel for Lorraine (Robertson) Stuart. Lorraine was the Associate Chaplain (not sure I have that title right) the year I was a Chaplain's Assistant. 

2. I wasn't feeling quite well enough to go out in the hours long blizzard that blew through Kellogg yesterday to shovel snow. I put out a call for help to Carol.  Zoe's pal Jason buzzed over and shoveled snow for both Christy and me. I was most grateful. 

I did, however, feel well enough to blast over to Yoke's and purchase beverages for the rehearsal dinner. I saw Patti Hei for a few minutes. I had hardly talked all day and was startled by how husky and miserable my voice sounded. 

Yes, this hoarse voice would get the job done on Saturday as I officiate the wedding, but I am hoping that by then I'll be more pleasant to listen to than I was at Yoke's! 

3. I thawed out a package of party wings today and took a low key approach to fixing them for dinner. I baked the wings, seasoning them only with lemon pepper and onion powder (an accident -- I had intended to use garlic powder). I also roasted Yukon gold potatoes and white onion and I steamed a batch of cauliflower. 

For being such a simple dinner to prepare, it sure was great! The whole meal was delicious and comforting, a perfect combination for Debbie as she fights off the early stages of a cold and for me as I keep hoping I'm nearing the end of having this cold for just over a week now. 

No comments: