Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 02-19-2024: Crab Feed at Home, I Continue to Recover, *Songlines* Works For Me

 1. Harley swung by the house this morning and sold us about three pounds of crab legs, mostly, the last of the crab from the Elks crab feed. I put all the legs in our biggest bowl, covered it with plastic wrap, and later in the evening Debbie and I cracked crab legs, ate some meat, and also ate baguette slices and Debbie's delicious bean salad. 

When Debbie was finished eating, we still had an over half full big bowl of crab and I cracked them all, extracted as much meat as I could, and we'll have crab melts for dinner tomorrow night. I also have a gallon zip lock bag bursting with crab shells that I'll turn into stock. 

For us, the Elks crab feed will extend into Tuesday! 

2. I had hoped to feel recovered enough today to return to the Fitness Center, but late in the morning I went back to bed, needing more sleep, and I did the same later in the afternoon. I decided to wait until my appointment at the rehab gym on Tuesday, the 20th, to get back into action. 

Just for the record, this bug has hung on for eleven days and I'm ready to break up with it. 

3. Reading Songlines is going much better this time around. I'm focused. I'm enjoying Bruce Chatwin's writing style a lot. He's got an economic style and, at the same time, his descriptions of people and places in Australia are vivid, appealing strongly to the senses, and his brief chapters are focused and lively. 

He's a superb travel writer and, at the same time, a superb nature writer. He has a nearly encyclopedic mind when it comes to the plants and animals of the places he visits in Australia and is a keen observers of the pubs, bookstores, and other businesses he visits and is particularly observant of the wide variety of individuals he encounters. 

I fully expect that I will see this book all the way to the end this time and not get distracted from finishing it like I have before. 

No comments: