Thursday, February 15, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 02-14-2024: A Day of Rest, Valentine's Day Fatigue, Unromantic Dinner

1. It's been quite a while since I've been laid out with illness for as long as a week and I don't remember the stages of illness and recovery. If a stage defined by just being flat out fatigued exists, I reached that stage today. I went back to bed twice. My cold symptoms seemed less severe, but I had very little energy. I gave in. I stayed home. I slept. I'm hoping all this rest pushed me closer to full recovery.

2. Debbie and I have a tradition as long as our marriage to not do anything with or for each other on Valentine's Day. When we had kids in the house, Debbie was very good about giving them Valentine's Day chocolate. At work, Debbie had an exhausting day. Valentine's Day was a party day with lots of treats and other things. The children were highly stimulated and excited -- fun for the children, exhausting for the teacher! Debbie survived and went to bed much earlier than usual. She's trying to keep the bug, similar to what I have, she's contracted from growing in strength.

3. With both of us fatigued, I cooked the easiest dinner I could think of. I cooked a pot of jasmine rice, added about four stalks of chopped green onions to the pot, steamed a mess of frozen green beans and corn, and cooked salmon burger patties. I broke the patties into smaller pieces, combined the salmon and the rice, and served the vegetables on the side. It wasn't an especially daring or creative dinner, but it was just what we needed. 

No comments: