Saturday, February 17, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 02-16-2024: I Drove to CdA Today!, My Mindset as I Prepare for the Wedding, A Tasty Rehearsal Dinner

1. It Cosette and Taylor Wedding Eve today. I hoped, hoped, hoped as I got up and around that, on the eighth day of this cold that's been occupying my respiratory system, I could muster up the energy to pick up my dry cleaning (I did) and make a quick trip to Coeur d'Alene for a haircut and to pick up a few things at Costco (I did that, too). 

I didn't talk much in CdA or at the laundry, but when I did, my voice seemed about, oh, 80-85% healthy, giving me confidence that I had enough voice to make it through today's rehearsal. The trip to CdA was not very demanding, but, when I returned home, I fell asleep sitting in the living room and, thank goodness, woke up at 4:40 just in time to gather myself and head across the street to the church for the rehearsal.

2. As long as I'm yakkin' a bit here about the wedding, I'll just say or word or two about my mindset as I prepare to officiate Taylor and Cosette's ceremony.

As I see it, it's incumbent upon me to control myself, to stay calm, not get caught up in the excitement surrounding the wedding, and to keep things within myself low key. 

Within myself, I will play down my role and will do all I can to call as little attention to myself as possible. I hope to appear a bit bland, certainly solemn, and somewhat retiring. To me, it's the words that really matter -- the prayers, vows, blessings, pronouncement, and the short charge I'll give Taylor and Cosette. So, I'll be doing all I can to bring the words alive, hoping to focus the congregation's attention on the words and on Taylor and Cosette. 

Downplaying my role in this ceremony helps me stay calm. 

After our rehearsal this evening, I'm confident everyone knows what do do and, really, the ceremony is simple enough that it would be easy, if it happened, to overcome an error or to direct a person to the right spot if someone forgets what to do.

In short, I'm feeling good about the words and good about the ceremony.  I'm ready to carry out my duty seriously and warmly, in a low key way. 

3. Garrenteed BBQ catered a delicious rehearsal dinner. The beef brisket was beautifully prepared and deliciously tender. Garren's Fire Crack Mac and Cheese is awesome and he prepared a superb cole slaw. He also served pulled pork, but I focused on the brisket. The room was full of conversation, laughter, and reunions. 

Debbie had had a full day and, like me, is dealing with this draining bug. She left the dinner early and I followed suit not long after, looking to conserve my energy, save my voice, and get plenty of rest for so I'll be in at least decent shape at 4:00 on Saturday for the wedding. 


No comments: