Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 02-06-2024: No New Clothes Just Yet, Helping Relieve Copper's Anxiety, Lemon and Garlic and Pasta

1. So I had finished my workout on the two machines I use at the rehab gym. In between time on the machines I did my lifts with hand weights. In order to be released to go home, my heart rate has to slow down to a certain rate -- that was going splendidly again today -- and while I was cooling off, staff member Claudia asked me if I'd bought any new clothes. I was embarrassed. I thought she was referring to the fact that I've worn the same sweat pants nearly every day in that gym since early November. 

"What?" I replied.

"Bought new clothes since you've lost those twenty pounds!"

Ah! Her question was a compliment, another way of encouraging my rehab work.

"No." I replied, "I don't want to be cocky." (I've lost weight before and also gained it back and more.)

I continued: "But, I did buy a smaller belt. I can cinch my somewhat looser pants a little tighter so they won't slip off me."

We then talked more about further weight loss, goals, strengthening myself for a kidney transplant, and how I've progressed.

I have never lost motivation since I started this regimen. 

All the same, I welcomed another motivational boost from Claudia. 

2. Back home, I checked in on Copper. I had done some reading about cats feeling stressed and anxious and I have good reason to think Copper feels this way when he's alone, whether in the bedroom or the Vizio room. I read that sometimes cats who are stressed want more than one litter pan option. I moved the litter pan from the Vizio room into the bedroom so that Copper has two clean pans to choose from. When he spends time in the Vizio room (like he is right now), I'll simply move one of the pans in there and return it to the bedroom when he goes back. 

I spent a good amount of time with Copper in the bedroom this afternoon and evening. Our being together relaxes him, releases his anxiety, and helps him nap. 

Our times together today were a comfort to both of us. 

3. Pinehurst Elementary School hosted a 5 o'clock event for students and adults today so Debbie didn't arrive home until after 7 p.m. 

It turned out that pizza was part of the program. I had a dinner planned that would be ready to eat when Debbie arrived home. Once I learned she wouldn't need dinner, I went ahead and made it, ate a helping, and we stored the rest to have for dinner on Wednesday night.

To fix this meal, all I had to do was boil a batch of penne, melt butter in a large pan, cook a batch of raw shrimp until it turned pink, and add more butter, crushed garlic cloves, and the juice of one and a half lemons to the pan and then add in the cooked penne. 

Not surprisingly, it was called Lemon Garlic Shrimp Penne. I used more garlic and more lemon juice than the recipe suggested and I was happy I did: I enjoyed the stronger presence of both garlic and lemon in this dish.  For Wednesday's dinner, Debbie suggested I add roasted red pepper to the what I've made. I like that idea and that's just what I'll do. 

No comments: