Thursday, November 16, 2006

Three Beautiful Things 11/16/06: Schafer, Mutual Respect, Blonde Tupac

1. I found out through Huckleberries Online that local 7' U of Oregon basketball player Ray Schafer is the son of former Coeur d'Alene standout Dick Schafer, against whom I played for two seasons in high school. This connection, for reasons beyond my explanation, gave me chills up and down my spine.

2. Lane Community College is in decline, economically, and it is causing a decline in the variety of course offerings in the English Department I teach in. My fellow teachers worked out some difficult problems today with deep mutual respect, love for our discipline, deep concern for our students, dignified sadness, and muted anger. I was proud of our maturity.

3. My student Laura performed the role of Tupac and the role of a blonde Idaho diner waitress both in the same skit, and I forgot for a moment she was Laura.

No comments: