Sunday, November 26, 2006

Three Beautiful Things 11/26/06: Desiree, Work Poems, Wireless Success

1. I went to Circuit City to pick up an order and Desiree waited on me. She doesn't remember me. Twice, once when she was a sophomore and when she was a senior, I was a judge for the ACT-SO* essay competition when Desiree wrote essays that earned her trips to nationals where she won a bronze medal each time.
*The Afro-Academic, Cultural Technological and Scientific Olympics(ACT-SO) is a major youth initiative of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People(NAACP). founded in 1978, by the renowned author and journalist, Vernon Jarrett, ACT-SO providesa forum through which minority youth can demonstrate the same prowess, expertise and recognition often only reserved for entertainers and athletes.

2. I wrote comments helping students with poems they had written about work and felt proud for their good work, especially since the time constraints they wrote under were quite tight.

3. The wireless connection between my laptop computer and the printer in the Deke's office worked today. Sometimes even small triumphs feel epic.

No comments: