Friday, September 7, 2007

Three Beautiful Thing 09/06/07: Wucky, Blue Lagoon, Kottke

1. Until today, I hadn't seen Rick Wainwright (a.k.a. Myrtle Beached Whale) and Mark Dorendorff for at least thirty-five years. Rick and I go back to when Mom was his second grade teacher. I was in kindergarten, but Rick and his mother came by our house on occasion. Rick and I spent a lot of time together from about 1967-70, golfing, playing baseball, bowling, listening to music (he introduced me to Cream, Steppenwolf's other songs [beyond "Born to Be Wild" and "Magic Carpet Ride"], the Beatles' White Album, Cold Blood, Mitch Ryder, and so on), and riding around in his dad's Torino. I spent less time with Mark, but we were in junior high and high school band together and baseball teammates in American Legion ball. In a high school band concert that featured three drummers doing solo sets, Mark played the "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" drum solo. To this day, when I hear "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", I think of Mark. The best part of our having drinks together for an hour, was how easily we sat down, without awkwardness, and jumped right into conversation about baseball, the military, Kellogg, and a host of other things.

2. I created a slide show of the Blue Lagoon Tavern, near Medimont, Idaho. The O'Reillys are selling the place and I decided to pretend I was in real estate, so I took pictures and put them together into a slide show, pretending that the slide show would be a way to kick up more interest in the place. You can view the slide show here or here.

3. To complete the slide show I needed Leo Kottke's tune, "Twilight Property". I was very happy to discover that it was in stock at Long Ear Music in Cd'A.

1 comment:

myrtle beached whale said...

I enjoyed our too short time together. Let's not wait 35 more years to do it again.