Saturday, September 22, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 09/21/07: Cheerleading, Memoir, War Again

1. The word of the day: sarcasm. My work place is on a downward slide fueled by budgetary woes and I can endure it, outside the classroom, with heavy sarcasm, acting like a cheerleader for the slide in quality and the bottom line driven poison that is coursing through LCC's veins.

2. Jose and I had a great lunch together. I'll keep readers here posted as to when his rollicking and insightful memoir is finally published. Talking with him today about the demands his writing has made on him was compelling. It might be a while before it comes out, but, trust me, this will be a book you'll want to read.

3. I started watching "Letters from Iwo Jima" and in the early stages of the movie, we see that the WWII Japanese war machine was fraught with in-fighting, inflexibility, ideological blindness, and a sense of tragic doom. So far, it's been most enlightening to gain further insight into the absurdity of war as seen through the experience of the Japanese fighting forces on Iwo Jima.

No comments: