Monday, November 2, 2009

Three Beautiful Things 11/02/09: Sorta Mentor, Campbell Tears, Marcia's Back!

1. Every once in a while a student, looking to pursue a career in teaching, comes by the office and wonders how I came to be a teacher. It's fun to piece together the good fortune I've had and to convey my enthusiasm for teaching and how much I love teaching at a community college.

2. Dallas came to talk with my about my teaching career just minutes after I wiped the tears from my eyes and cheeks while listening to Joseph Campbell talk with Bill Moyers about the Hero's Adventure. I have a lot of history with Campbell and with this particular series of interviews and the sweet memories of driving from Boise to Salmon City listening to Campbell on audio tape and the wonderful days teaching with Rita all came flooding in and the tears flowed.

3. It was so good to see Marcia back in class today. She no longer had her cane but has a wheelchair and she was brimming with happiness and relief that her mobility was easier and that she was in less pain. I hope to see much more of her now!

No comments: