Saturday, January 4, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 01/03/14: Donating Clothes, Helping Fix the Meatloaf Blowout, 21st Century After Dinner Talk

1.  Carol gathered several bags of children's clothes at her house and Mom collected several boxes of women's clothes and bedding and Carol and I drove up to Wallace and donated them to the Women's Resource Center and I got to see and share a hug with lifelong family friend, Kellie Lavigne, the center's executive director.  

2.   Mom spent the afternoon fixing a meatloaf dinner for herself, Carol, Paul, Zoe, Molly, Cosette and me and she let me help her with a few things:  mashing the potatoes, slicing and buttering the French bread, slicing an avocado, slicing the meatloaf, taking things out of the oven and other tasks that would not interfere with the quality of her cooking.  I also got to be the cleanup man.  It was a successful dinner and a lot of fun.

3.  Oh my!  How my nieces have grown up.  And, oh my!  How conversation topics in the living room have changed as my nieces have grown up.  It was pretty much conversation as usual when we talked about the lice attack that happened shortly before Christy and Everett's ring ceremony back in Sept., 1997, but when conversation turned to updating what's happening with a couple of my nieces' gay friends and when we discussed a transgendered family member and when the story surfaced, which Molly heard happened in a Wal Mart somewhere, about a man who exposed himself in the women's restroom, I realized that we live in a brave new world in our family.  We all enjoy this brave new world, but I couldn't help but think that if Dad were alive, he might have growled his famous, "Heeeyyyy!" and campaigned to turn our after dinner talk back to "tamer" topics!

No comments: