Thursday, January 9, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 01/08/14: Tears and *Silver Linings Playbook*, *Going Big* with Sam Bowie, The *Fab Five*

1.  I've had Silver Linings Playbook sitting around since August and, finally, this afternoon, to my delight I watched it.  It hit home in many ways, but most of all I loved how the act of figuring out dance moves, rehearsing them, and then creating a form of art had such a settling effect on Pat and Tiffany.  It reminded me of the settling effect playing Snug the Joiner in A Midsuummer's Night Dream had on me back in 2005 when I had fallen deep into psychic paralysis and out of nowhere Sparky called me and said she'd lost a member of the cast and could I come and play and it was just what I needed to get outside of myself and to have some of the best guy time I've ever had with the other Rude Mechanicals.  It broke the isolation.  It got me moving around.  It got me helping to create art.  Having Silver Linings Playbook take me back to that (and other) psychologically trying times had me in tears throughout the movie.

2.  Suddenly, early this evening, the hour long documentary about Sam Bowie entitled Going Big caught my eye on Netflix and I watched it and enjoyed it thoroughly and came away with a very high regard for Bowie -- and for the Blazers' decision to draft him. 

3.  Having watched one basketball documentary, I decided to go for another one and watched ESPN's scintillating movie called Fab Five, a movie exploring the story of the five freshmen who came to U of Michigan in 1991 and changed the face of college basketball.  It was a fascinating documentary and I came away from it smiling and saying something I've said to myself repeated over the last few years:  I could listen to Jalen Rose talk about stuff forever.  He's really good. 

No comments: