Friday, January 10, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 01/09/14: I'm the Mummy or a Zombie, Checking Out the Foot Infection, *I Like Killing Flies* Occupies My Mind

1.  Back in Kellogg, I was having some minor pain in my instep and I didn't think much of it.  My mobility was fine and it wasn't anything that seemed too serious.  Well, things have changed.  My left instep and big toe are red, angry, swollen, and painful.  I think I managed to disguise being in pain during my WR 115 classes today, largely because I didn't get up and move around a lot.  But, when I walked around the halls of the Center Building and when I walked to the bus and then walked home from the bus station, I was very slow, very limpy, and felt like I was walking like Lon Chaney in The Mummy.  But, maybe I looked more like a zombie.  I've never had such a long (or painful) walk before from the bus station to our house.

2.  The Deke made me an appointment at the OHG after hours clinic and Dr. Byrne inspected the foot and had blood work done to rule out the gout and to look into some other things.  I'm starting a round of antibiotics, and hope to hear tomorrow from my primary care doctor.  I'm also going to take probiotics.  Some of you who have read this blog for a while might remember that the last time I took antibiotics to fight of pneumonia in 2009, I ended up with that vile C. Diff.  I'm hoping ingestion of probiotics will make it less likely that I'll get into that trouble again.

3. I wanted to enjoy my wait to go to the doctor, so I went to Netflix and pulled up the documentary, I Like Killing Flies, a profile of the Greenwich Village restaurant owner and cook, Kenny Shopsin.  (Today, the restaurant, Shopsin's, is not in the Village.)  The movie gives Kenny Shopsin a way to voice his many perspectives upon many subjects, including the importance of food, raising a family, killing flies, Freudian psychoanalysis, and much more and we get a close up view of the struggles that ensue when the building he runs his restaurant in his bought my a new owner, who becomes his new landlord.  I had to leave before the movie was over, but it did its job:  it took my mind off my red and raging left foot, it made me think, and it made me laugh.  It did not, however, make me hungry for a sugary pancake loaded with chocolate chips or peanut butter. 

No comments: